Friday, August 1, 2008

Lemon Moon Cafe

Back in 2004 I interviewed all across Los Angeles for jobs. One such interview was at Bizrate, a now defunct company which was purchased by Shopzilla. The interview was long and disappointing (I think they told me my IQ test was too good meaning I should look for a more challenging position). Anyway, I walked around the grounds for awhile because I was early for my interview and I noticed a cute looking cafe called Lemon Moon. I have always wanted to go there since, and finally, last Friday I had the opportunity!

Now that we work out in Santa Monica, I have a whole new selection of restaurants to try out. Lemon Moon has been on my list for ages and someone else actually suggested it! Parking is free in the garage with validation so that is another plus.

There was quite a crowd at the cafe with nearly every table taken. We were lucky to catch a table on the patio big enough for the whole crowd of people that came with us.

The menu is large and diversified--if you like salad. They have a variety of salads you can get from the case that change daily. They have sandwiches and soups and then even some entree salads. They also have a small selection of baked goods. The choices and build-up for the restaurant really led to my having a hard time choosing. I didn't know what to do, I wanted to try everything. I ended up choosing an entree salad of Caprese over a bed of greens with a vinaigrette. I also got a chocolate cookie and some fruit punch lemonade.

The fruit punch lemonade was delicious. It had a light taste of fruit mixed with the sour/sweet lemonade. It was a perfect refreshment, but I don't think there were refills on it. My salad came along with everyone else's food and I was immediately sure I made the wrong choice. The tuna melt across from me looked great (and I don't even like tuna), the burger and fries looked amazing--and apparently tasted great and the roast beef sandwich next to me looked slightly different and delicious.

My salad was not so delicious. It was absolutely drenched in the vinaigrette and it was very vinagery, almost spicy. The salad consisted of a row of tomato and fresh mozzerella across a bed of greens. I needed something more and a lot less vinegar. The cheese was nothing special (not buratta for sure) and the tomatoes weren't fully ripe. I knew I should have gone for a sandwich.

The cookie, which I ate later, was amazing. It tasted like a brownie with a cookie crust and chocolate chips oozing inside. My lunch was expensive with the drink, cookie and salad, but I would consider going there again and I would get something different, for sure. Maybe I can get someone else to order for me.





Lemon Moon
12200 W. Olympic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90064
Map

No comments: