Saturday, September 13, 2008

Pauline's Handmade Brittle

I pass by Pauline's Handmade Brittle at least two-three times a week, and I have never gone in. I have never gone in because from the outside it looks like it is always closed with these dark black windows. Crunched between two nondescript stores, this place just didn't look inviting to me.

Today though, I casually pointed it out to Jenny (who also passes it all the time and never noticed it before) and she insisted that we go in. So I parked and cautiously exited the car. I dragged back so that Jenny could enter first. I don't like going into small stores much because then I feel forced to buy and I have to talk to the person there...it's a lot of work. But it was time.

We walked in to a tiny space with a circular table and chairs in the middle, a case off to the side full of brittle, a couple of sauces, fillings and dessert mixes. A small hallway led to the back of the store where the kitchen is.

We had a chance to browse the store before the owner came in from the back. Pauline, we surmised immediately offered samples from the case of the original pecan brittle. I don't usually love brittle, but it was absolutely delicious! We talked to Pauline for some time and she offered us more samples of some of her other varieties as she talked about her business.

Pauline seemed a little down in the dumps but was excited about the upcoming week when they were filming her store for a makeover show called Peter Perfect. She told us that this show makes-over a struggling business and there will be a grand re-opening on Saturday next week with the new look of this sweet shop. I'm excited to see it after it is revamped.

And why am I telling you? Because the brittle was delicious. The brittle was SO delicious that I am recommending that you take a trip over to Pauline's and buy some. After a couple of samples, I decided on the dark chocolate brittle. It is a thick layer of good-quality dark chocolate on top and marbled with a thick layer of brittle dotted with pecans. Pauline also makes marble chocolate, white chocolate, and mint chocolate varieties.

I left the store excited to go back, but a little bit discouraged by the dent in my wallet. If you are in the mood for a sweet treat or a gourmet gift, stop in, and you will not be disappointed by the flavors melding together in the delicious pecan brittle.

****UPDATE****
I drove past Pauline's today and it looks absolutely spectacular. I highly recommend that you stop by and check out her new look. Her shop now has gone through a total transformation. I can't wait until I finish my first pecan brittle so I can go back and see the new store in person. Now all they need is to update the website to match the new look of the store.





Pauline's Handmade Brittle
1926 W. Olive Ave.
Burbank, CA 91506
Map

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right about the brittle - the regular Pecan Brittle is unbelievable, and the dark chocolate britle is so decadent! I'm a lifetime customer now!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I saw the show and I had never heard of the place before. Peter was an absolutely hilarious prick in their side...but they were all very good sports. I then made the trek over to the store and it is as good as the show advertised. Pauline and the crew were as sweet as the brittle. What a great find in Burbank! The pecan brittle melted in my mouth and I can't wait to return to try everything else. I'm shopping here for Christmas!