Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Golden Road Pub

I've been hearing all about the Golden Road Pub and seeing it every time we drive through Glendale because of it's bright-blue building just off the freeway in an otherwise bland industrial area.

Yesterday afternoon we had our first chance to try it out.  The Pub is in a bright yellow building with many different seating areas--inside and out.  We opted for the front outdoor patio which has a couple of small tables and lots of long tables for large groups. The Pub was mildly busy but not crowded.  Lots of people were there with their kids playing in an area with ping pong, Foosball, giant Connect Four and a couple of other games.

I really liked the atmosphere of the place even on this very hot day. If you were to go there, order a beer from the bar (and order your food from the bar too) and then just hang around chatting and playing games you'd probably really enjoy it.

On the other hand...if you were planning to eat lunch, not try the beer, and order at your table, you might have the same disappointing experience we had.  Looking around us, the food looked great--juicy burgers, big salads, a giant pretzel with dipping sauce. We were sold.  I ordered the proscuitto and goat cheese sandwich with fig jam, Joey got the burger.  I stuck with water and Joey got the lemonade. We also ordered a big pretzel.

It was over 90 degrees in Glendale that afternoon, the water came without any ice and we never got a refill.
The lemonade was most definitely country time and was also a little bit warm.
Both the burger & sandwich were average at best, the bread was far to thick to enjoy the filling much. The salad I had as my side was good but drenched in dressing and the fries were totally average.  I can't speak for the pretzel because our waiter totally forgot that we ordered one and we never received it--but since it wasn't on the bill either he definitely completely forgot.  Our waiter never came back to our table until I flagged him down for the bill and even then it took some time.  I saw him start coming towards us and then turn away multiple times.

Lesson learned, this place needs a better chef who doesn't rely on heavy breads and light fillings. This mostly vegan menu may be really good and maybe I just got the wrong thing--but if I go again I'm ordering from the bar--where I have to wait for no one to get served.  Go here for the beer and atmosphere and get your food elsewhere.





The Pub at Golden Road Brewing
5410 W San Fernando Road
Los Angeles, CA 90039

No comments: