Monday, September 2, 2013

Alfredo's Mexican Food


One of my favorite small Mexican places in Burbank (el Mexicano) closed their doors earlier this year and my favorite machaca tacos became no more.  In it's place, a new Mexican place opened up - Alfredo's Mexican Food.

The whole place has changed from it's family-run stand -- the menu is no longer hand written but typed and printed, the tables and chairs have been updated, the kitchen was gutted and fixed, they have a bathroom and most importantly, they take credit cards now.

The reviews on Yelp are incredibly favorable even though there aren't many and every single one of them calls out the Carne Asada Fries.  In recent years, ever since food trucks became popular and gourmet, carne asada fries have been THE thing.  So I ordered them even though they were $8.  We also tried the carne asada tacos, cheese enchiladas, and carnitas taco.

The carnitas taco was super dry even when I piled on the salsa (green is spicier than red), I wasn't able to finish the taco.  The carne asada was just okay, it didn't have any particular flavor but it was tender, tasted like plain steak to me.  The Super Fries were huge. Easily enough to share or to feed two for a meal. They have carne asada, creme, guacamole and cheese.  I liked these but they weren't super amazing. They needed something more like jalepenos but the fries stayed crispy and the sour cream and guac really made it.

I am interested in going back and trying something else--like maybe the machaca or the chiliquiles but I don't think I'll be heading back anytime soon, there are many better places for tacos.





Alfredo's Mexican Food
911 N San Fernando Blvd
BurbankCA 91504


No comments: