Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pickles

Part of my family and I found ourselves in Thousand Oaks this weekend on our way to the Conejo Valley Botanical Gardens and needed to have lunch first.  I surveyed the locals and looked up restaurants and sent a list to my mom & uncle. But nobody wanted to choose, so in the end we settled on Pickles because it was on the Ojai side of town and it clearly said on the website it was open on Sunday afternoon--the rest required a phone call--and I don't make phone calls.

Pickles is technically a Jewish deli but it isn't the kind of place that looks like Grandma's kitchen. Instead it is a large diner type space with not much character at all in the one room restaurant.  The menu is massive--at least 8 pages bound together spiral-notebook style.

Even though it was closer to lunch time, I was really interested in getting something breakfasty--even though I wouldn't get any pickles that way.  I noted the French Toast Tower on the menu and asked the waiter about it. He really didn't go into detail except that he said it had fruit on it.  I ordered it.

The French Toast Tower to my surprise was an actual tower!  3 thick slices of french toast held up by banana columns--almost like a sundae.  I loved it!  The toast was tasty and cinnamon swirled and seriously. getting this much fruit at a restaurant is almost unheard of.  Despite the huge whipped cream dollup, I didn't feel like I really ate a super bad-for-me meal due to the fruit stacking.

The other food was good but not amazing. I think this is the kind of family diner you go to because it has something for everybody.  Besides the sweet presentation of my meal, the rest of the meals were totally regular but the portion size was good and the service fast.  If you need something in Thousand Oaks for a crowd of kids or people with different tastes this place is for you.





Pickles
1940 Newbury Rd # 100  
Newbury Park, CA 91320

No comments: