Sunday, April 15, 2012

Otis Jackson's Soul Dogs

 Going to lunch with the family on a weekend is nothing short of a production. Everyone wants something different and is interested in trying something new but only if it will be good for everyone. Today we started our journey to EAT in NoHo, but it looked packed and decided since it was already 1pm it was better to go somewhere without a line.

Our second choice on our list was Otis Jackson's Soul Dogs.  The place gets 4 1/2 stars on yelp so it couldn't be terrible.  It's on Lankershim and the corner of Magnolia so it's right down the street from EAT.

We parked a little bit further away than our companions and so they were already ordering by the time we got to the restaurant.  At most places, ordering at different times wouldn't be a huge deal but at this place it kind of was.  The service was a little slow to begin with, you order at the counter and then someone starts working on your meal. All the food is prepared in a viewing area but it's not as quick as expected, especially with many things already pre-made.

The menu is a mixture of fully loaded hotdogs in a variety of combinations and fried chicken. On Sundays (like today) they also offer a few Chicken & Waffle combinations.

It took a long time for the line to move along and they were also fielding phone orders.  The staff was really nice but they just weren't fast with their order filling. The space where they prepare the meals is small probably allowing only 3-4 employees in the space so that won't help speed up.

All of my companions ordered a hot dog & fries - they got-- the bacon dog, the slaw dog, the snap dog & the chili cheese dog.  The hot dogs came loaded with the toppings and are a lot faster out than the other items but they are still a bit slow with that too.  Everyone enjoyed their hot dogs and were inclined to come back and try a new flavor next time.  The sweet potato fries looked amazing and were good but when compared to the regular french fries they took the backseat.  The regular fries are crispy and salty and just-right golden.

I didn't order a hot dog, instead I had my heart set on trying this crazy combination of chicken & waffles. I always thought the combination sounded crazy and excessive, but who I am to judge without first trying?  It took a long time for my food to come out which was sad because I was really hungry!  If we had all ordered at once, our food probably would've been closer together so this was partially our fault, but even my husband's hot dog came out first.  While I was waiting, I enjoyed my lavender sweet tea. I am not a huge fan of sweet tea but the lavender was a nice change and it sounded better than soda to me at the time.

After eating it, I still stand with my point that chicken & waffles is a little excessive. But these aren't the huge thick waffles I'm used to. The fried chicken wasn't the least bit greasy. It was a tiny bit dry in the center but not overly. I didn't love the chicken but it was passable.  But the waffle!  I would go back there every Sunday just to eat the waffle!  It was a perfect texture, thinner than any waffle I've ever had before. The little nooks held the melted butter and syrup perfectly. And then there was the spice. I think the waffle had nutmeg in it and maybe a little cinnamon making it a little more flavorful and oh so great!  I polished off every bit of that waffle and kind of wanted another one when I was done.

We all agreed we'd like to come back and try something different. I will take another waffle anytime but according to Soul Dogs it has to be a Sunday...





5166 Lankershim Blvd
North Hollywood, CA 91601
Map


No comments: