Friday, April 20, 2012

Manhattan Beach Creamery

I only wish I had a picture...Last Tuesday my friend and I went to Manhattan Beach for the day.  It was a great place to visit--what a nice town.  On Tuesdays they have a small farmer's market that runs from 1-4pm in the parking lot/common area near the newish mall at the top of the town.  The market has a good mix of cooked foods and produce and when we stopped by at the end of the day, the prices were reduced to boot!  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to order the pupusa of my dreams (although so tempted) because we had filled up with an afternoon snack at Manhattan Beach Creamery.

I've been hearing about the MBC ever since I started telling people about the awesomeness of Fosselman's ice cream.  People raved about the rum raisin ice cream at MBC among other things. Not being a raisin fan, I followed the yelp suggestion and got a cookie ice cream sandwich instead.  I didn't even really take a look at the available ice cream flavors at first because the cookie sandwiches drew me into a happy place.  On second glance though they don't have any real unique flavors--just the usuals.

I chose a chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich filled with cookies & cream ice cream.  My friend got a classic CCC with vanilla ice cream and dipped in dark chocolate.  The cookies were soft and chewy but strong enough to hold up to the ice cream.  The ice cream was creamy and delicious and didn't really have that "i've been sitting in an ice cream sandwich for a while" texture that I don't like about pre-scooped ice cream most of the time.  I understand the dark chocolate dipped is a must have for next time.

The ice cream quality to me doesn't really match Fosselman's, but then again the sandwiches are pre-made so it might not be a good test.  The service is fast and mildly friendly and the prices are reasonable (they beat coolhaus by a mile...)

MBC is also known for their frozen banana selection and some of them looked good enough for me to forgo the ice cream altogether--but then I remembered I was there for the ice cream...

I will definitely be going back to MBC next time I am in the area.  I'm not sure I'd drive across town for it but then again, I've been known to do crazier things.






Manhattan Beach Creamery
1120 Manhattan Avenue
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266

No comments: