Thursday, April 19, 2012

Local 1205

I had a friend in town last week and we traveled across the city looking for fun places to see and look around and shop.  In the middle of one such adventure, I was starving at a weird time and spotted this eatery as we walked down Abbot Kinney in Venice.

I was pretty sure this was my kind of place from the outset. It has a wonderful rustic open look to it with a gourmet grocery just past the coffee bar in the front and a very well stocked deli.  There are mostly large communal tables but we were able to snag a small table on the side.

The prices at Local 1205 are ridiculous. I mean they are seriously stretching the bounds of fancy gourmet sandwiches and smoothies to an all time high.  I know Abbot Kinney is pricey but this was a little crazy.  The sandwiches were in the 13-15 dollar range and the smoothies and juices were just as high at $8-$10!

I wanted something sandwich like but I didn't really know what to order.  Right when I reached the deli counter to place my order the cashier rushed to the bathroom where she waited in line for about 7 minutes.  I almost decided against getting anything.  The guy making sandwiches eventually took my order but I don't really see why he couldn't have done it earlier.

The service for just ordering was poor but then the time it took to get my super easy not even hot sandwich was long as well.  I cringe to think of how long these handmade sandwiches take during prime time lunch.

When I finally did get my sandwich it was the prosciutto caprese and came with a side of coleslaw and some interestingly spicy yet bread and butter flavored pickles.  The sandwich was rather satisfying but it wasn't necessarily amazing enough for me to pay the price for.  I opted for a free water from their spa water jug in the front to save money and also water sounded good.

Because I had to wait around so long to make my order, I didn't really have a chance to look around the shop but I understand the prices on those gourmet goods were also top dollar.  The sandwich guy was nice but man the service is slow.  If you want an expensive lunch or maybe just to browse some fancy dry goods, head over to Abbot Kinney today!

The coffee prices were reasonable and regular so maybe that is the thing to get instead...I'm sorry that the deli wasn't more amazing because Local 1205 sure looked like my kind of place.





Local 1205
1205 Abbot Kinney Blvd,
Venice, CA 90291

(I no longer need to include a map link as blogger has added a location to the bottom of the post linkable to the maps needed!)

No comments: