Saturday, May 17, 2008

East Coast Dogs & Deli

The East Coast Deli is really close to my house, but it never appears to be open so it has always intrigued me. I walked past it the other day and noticed the hours were weekday hours--eight to four Monday through Friday. No wonder it always appears to be closed!

I was working from home on Friday, so I thought I'd check out the place. Being from Chicago, I am always jonesing for a good hot dog. I noticed right away that this place was advertising Vienna Beef dogs. In Chicago, a hot dog just isn't a hot dog unless it says Vienna Beef. I was surprised when we walked in the little red and white storefront to find an extensive menu with sandwiches and salads and only a tiny hot dog menu. I started wondering why I thought this was a hot dog place in the first place, and it can only have been the Vienna Beef sign, I must have seen it from the street.

While the salads looked pretty good, I opted for the Chicago Style dog. One thing I know about LA is that when they say "East Coast" it could be anywhere east of the Mississippi River, so maybe they were masters on Chicago flavor. My fiance was with me and he ordered a polish sausage with fries. The fries usually come with garlic and basil but he chose plain to go with his plain mustard and KETCHUP hot dog. Honestly, who puts ketchup on hot dog?

The fries took a long time to be ready, so in the meantime they let us pay and sit down. There are only a couple of tables but it seemed like the majority of their business was to-go business anyway from the hospital and studios surrounding it.

My Chicago dog was a fake. I am surprised they even risked giving it the Chicago name. The hot dog itself seemed huge and was good, but I shouldn't have ruined it with all the toppings. The hot dog was in a hard roll, topped with red onion, regular pickle relish, chopped tomatoes, mustard and a couple of slices of bread and butter pickles. I was very full at the end because the two salads that came with my meal filled the plate.

I would probably go back to this place if I happened to be around when it was open again and I wanted a quick meal. I think next time though I will skip the hot dogs and go for a sandwich or a salad. I think I would also bring my own drink, because all you can buy bottled drinks at inflated prices.





East Coast Dogs & Deli
2609 W Olive Ave
Burbank, CA 91505
Map

No comments: