Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Chozo Mama

Chozo Mama opened a couple of years ago right across from NBC studios. It took over a restaurant spot that had apparently changed hands almost yearly. I stopped by right away to try out the Peruvian food, always looking for a new experience. The food was a hit to me right away. I went back one more time and then I didn't go for awhile. Meanwhile, they turned the covered patio into an enclosed room.

When I went to the restaurant yesterday evening, I was really craving the Peruvian experience. I hadn't seen it since the construction was finished, and the place looked really nice. The main kitchen and ordering is done in the original building and there are lots of tables and even a TV. The people who work there are nice. It's really quite a small business because instead of having one cook and someone special as a cashier, the cashier often makes the meal himself.

I ordered the Chicken Saltado. It is a chicken dish cooked to order in a sauce served with onions on top of french fries. The dish came complete with two sides. I got the lentils and green salad. I didn't have time to stay, but I did sit in the dining area to wait. It was very comfortable inside. The chicken saltado takes a little longer to make than the other dishes because it is made fresh.

It is worth the wait. The food was delicious, flavorful, and still piping hot by the time I got home. It was made for one but I ate it for two meals. The menu is varied with all sorts of dishes--there is really something for everyone.





Chozo Mama
At the intersection of W. Alameda Ave and W. Olive Ave across from the Tonight Show at NBC Studios and Weinershnitzel

No comments: