Saturday, June 9, 2012

Warasawa

Warasawa is a nondescript building on Lincoln Blvd in Santa Monica. It really isn't the kind of place most people would just walk into on a whim. The thing is, you should. Warsawa is such a pleasant surprise once inside.  This building is a transformed house and it feels like going into someone's dining room.  Each room has just a few tables making the restaurant almost as private as eating at home.

We dined here on a Wednesday night and it wasn't that crowded at all. The service was good for the whole time and the waitresses were attentive and helpful. All of the wait staff are Polish and even have the accents. I was charmed when one of the waitresses talked about our crepe as a pancake later in the evening because it seemed like what you might call it at home.

We started out sharing the mushroom gnocchi and the beef tartar. I have never had tartar that comes with so many different things-all tasty though. The appetizers were big enough to be an entire meal and all of them sounded interesting and I could easily make a meal out of a few appetizers.

After filling up on the appetizers, I managed to save some room for my lamb dumplings. I loved the lamb nuggets inside the perfectly cooked dumplings. The sauce was a nice touch as well. I liked that all the entrees came with small sides and weren't overwhelming in size like most restaurants. The carrot puree was very good and a nice contrast to the lamb dumplings.

After dinner we probably should've stopped eating but I was interested in the coffee after smelling it brewing when we came in. It was delicious and came with these little cookies on the side. We also shared the lemon crepe and the chocolate cake. Skip the cake and go for the crepe--the textures and flavors were great and it was still a light enough dish to follow the evening of heavy foods.

Warsawa is a very good representation of a Polish food I'm not that familiar with. When I lived in Chicago it was known to have the largest population of Polish people besides Warsaw itself. However, the only Polish food I remember having was perogies. I didn't realize there were so many other options and had no idea what their specialties were. I do have a soft spot for dumplings of any variety though and I'm glad I do because I would like to have some more.





Warsawa

1414 Lincoln Boulevard
 Santa Monica, CA 90401

No comments: