Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Din Tai Fung Dumpling House

Every once in a while I am up for a culinary adventure. On Martin Luther King Day, I found myself in Arcadia after returning something to REI. I decided to get some Chinese food since that is the area to do it. Some people had recently told me about Din Tai Fung, and I thought now was the time to try it out.

I arrived at a very crowded parking lot and was cut off by a driver in a Lexus vacating the only open spot in the lot. I took it and walked over to Din Tai Fung. The dumpling house was overflowing with people and I was worried that the wait would be too long, but I went anyway. I was likely the only non-Chinese person there or at least the only non-Chinese person by themselves.

I put in my name and was told I could be seated immediately if I wanted to share a table. Remembering my days in Europe, I gladly obliged. It was a smart thing to do because I had the opportunity to see what others were ordering and doing. The restuarant was set up for separate groups so it wasn't hard to tell for the waiters who was who.

I marked down three different dishes on my little worksheet. I didn't really know what any of the things were exactly (sure they said it in English but that didn't really help me except for the main ingredient), but I just went for it. I was sure I would have too much food, but I knew I could just take it home.

I ordered juicy pork dumplings - Delicious! With each bite came a burst of delicious hot broth and pork inside these chewy steamed dumplings. Pork Buns - I was hoping these would be the BBQ Pork buns, but instead they were something else and weren't that great. Chicken Noodle Soup - I thought this would be pretty normal. Wrong! There were chicken bones in the broth. I liked it--although it needed a little more salt or flavor or something, but I can imagine someone else being surprised by the bones.

The meal was quick, the service was fast, and the food was delicious. The weird thing was that I put down a $20 expecting to add more tip and then they never came back with my change. So I just left. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and had leftovers to boot! I'll be back!





Din Tai Fung Dumpling House
1088 S Baldwin Ave
Arcadia, CA
‎ 91007
Map

No comments: