Sunday, December 14, 2008

Jewel City Diner

A couple of weekends ago we decided to see a movie at the Americana in Glendale. We had to crunch in lunch so we decided to try out the Jewel City Cafe right by the elevators to the main parking lot there.

The Jewel City Diner is trying to be Johnney Rockets in a similar 50's style diner setting. The silver diner looks inviting from outside with the promise of burgers and shakes. There is outside and inside seating--inside is at the counter, outside at tables.

I tried to grab a table outside for the four of us because it was such a nice day but even though I was obviously standing there holding the chair I was about to sit in, some man rushed over and told me that he was sitting there. Jerk. I realize this wasn't the restaurants fault, but it didn't help my first experience.

We walked into the restaurant and sat down at the counter. It smelled heavily as grease and grill. The menu was filled with surprisingly expensive diner classics. What annoyed me was that each item was al a carte. I wanted a milkshake, but they didn't look good enough for the price so I passed.

The diner uses paper everything from cups to plates to napkins. I think one of the most fun things about getting a diner milkshake is getting the extra in the metal cup on the side, at this place you just get the one cup-ful. I ordered water.

Joey and I both got burgers and we shared fries. The fries were steak-fry esque and too potatoy for my taste. Jenny and Gavin got burgers and shared onion rings. The onion rings were much better than the fries with the batter willy nilly around the onion.

The lunch came out to be fairly expensive for the price. Next time I want some diner food, I'll probably go to one of the better known ones and skip the Jewel City--it just wasn't the experience I wanted for the price.*





Jewel City Diner
889 Brand Blvd
Ste 629
Glendale, CA 91209

*Jewel City Diner fits into the $ range of this blog, but the price to what you get ratio is more like $$.

No comments: