Friday, November 30, 2007

El Cholo

El Cholo is a Mexican restaurant with a big family. It is the sister restaurant to the Barn Burner which sits just two doors down from its Pasadena location. El Cholo is almost always packed. This time though, on a Thursday, there was no wait.

There is valet parking in the lot, as well as a little bit of street parking. There is also a bank next door that I think you can park in after bank hours. If you want to be safe though, stick with the valet.

We were seated at a large 6-seater booth. The waiters brought us drinks and chips with salsa. The chips are clearly made there at the restaurant and thicker than other regular chips. The salsa has a flavor that I am not used to and is OK, but different. El Cholo is known for two things--the margaritas and the guacamole that they make tableside. We didn't get any guacamole but I did taste it
and it was pretty good, chunky. One person at the table got a coconut margarita. She loved it, I liked how they put toasted coconut around the rim.

The menu at El Cholo is a little short. It doesn't have everything you would expect for family-style Mexican restaurant to have. As I said, almost every table (except ours) gets the tableside guacamole to go with their chips. The menu has a few salads, a chicken tortilla soup, a couple quesadillas, enchiladas, and burritos. You can also get combinations with some typical Mexican fare. I had
the combination 2 which came with an enchilada and a chile relleno. This came with rice and beans. The portion was big enough to split into two meals, but I ended up eating it all at once. I got the Fuego Chile Relleno and it had two sauces but I felt like the egg batter was a little too strong for the pepper and cheese. I don't think the beans, rice or enchilada were anything special.

As always with a big group, everyone got something different ranging from a taco and relleno special, to a crabmeat burrito, to a chili burrito, to a quesadilla. I think everyone liked their food but I really don't think it stands out against other Mexican restaurants as amazing and wonderful. I think El Cholo is just ok. Unless you are going for margaritas (apparently strong) and the guacamole.



El Cholo
958 S Fair Oaks Ave.
Pasadena, CA 91105
Map

No comments: